Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Superhero Mask and Cuffs


My daughter was recently invited to a birthday party of a boy in her church class. I always struggle with what to get little boys. Girls are easy, I just usually give them some headbands and hair clips. I like to make gifts (it saves money and makes the gift more special) so I came up with these superhero accessories: a mask and cuffs.

What you need:
3 different colors of felt (I used one 9x12 sheet of each main color and then scraps for the third color)
Velcro (about 2 inches)
Skinny Elastic (about 12 inches)
Sewing machine
Thread
Fabric glue (optional)


I am not going to lie, I got the idea for the cuffs from See Kate Sew, she has a tutorial on how to make them, but I changed them up a little. First, I made the cuffs a little longer on each side so they would fit a preschooler (her pattern is for a toddler). Second, I made them reversible. To do this, I sewed designs onto each color of the felt before stacking them and sewing them together.

I chose to have the reverse side be his initial, but you can do whatever designs you want on either side.

For the mask, I just found a template online (I used this one) and then cut out two on different colors of felt. I also embellished the red side of the felt with small stars to match the cuffs, then sandwiched them together with about 12 inches of skinny elastic in between. I used a little bit of fabric glue to hold the elastic in place (or you can pin it) while I topstitched around the outside. When I got the part with the elastic I sewed back and forth over it a few times to reinforce it. Then sew around the eye holes as well.


Now that my kids have seen them, I am going to have make more. My two-year keeps trying to steal them and my daughter wants a superhero princess mask, I am thinking one in pink and purple with a crown instead of stars? So many possibilities.

3 comments:

  1. Cute! I'm trying to make a last minute mask for my son's costume today--this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking for ideas for two super hero costumes by tomorrow. This looks perfect. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this cute idea which seems perfect for my little grandchildren.
    Merry Christmas and kind greetings from Austria.

    ReplyDelete