Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sneaky Vegetables

 Our vegetables are growing like crazy now that it is getting hotter. Check out those Mustard Greens, they are HUGE!
 The Swiss Chard is pretty big, but I am not sure why the leaves are funky. I just tear off the funky parts when we eat it.
 The herbs... not quite big enough to use yet, but hopefully soon.
 The part I'm most excited for...the broccoli. I can finally see a little floret starting to grow.

 So I have been trying to come up with ways to use our lettuce in ways that the kids will eat it. Last night I tried adding it to pasta sauce and it was delicious.

I took 3 or 4 of the largest leaves of the Mustard Greens and Swiss Chard, tore off the thick stems, and ripped it into several smaller pieces and steamed them for about 5 minutes or so. Then, with an immersion blender, I mixed it into some spaghetti sauce (I just used some from a jar) along with some minced garlic. I served it over some rotini noodles with a little parmesan cheese and the kids LOVED it. My daughter is really picky and she asked for seconds.  I thought the lettuce taste might be a little overpowering, but it really made the sauce taste really good and I loved the color that it made the sauce.



 The biggest evidence is this little man's face. We don't even bother with a bib on spaghetti night...it is so much easier to just strip him down and stick him in the kitchen sink when he is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment