Thursday, July 14, 2011

Seven-Minute Frosting

How was your 4th? I know it was a while ago, but we just got home from a 3-three week vacation to visit our families in CA so this is my first chance at blogging about it.
Every year, my family has a huge BBQ and get together on the 4th. It started with my Grandparents and neighbors on their street. Many families on the street would get together for a bike parade and food. The tradition continued as the kids grew up and when I was a child we would bring our decorated bikes over to grandma's house for a parade and then food in her neighbors back yard. As more cousins came along, it just got too crowded, so the party moved to my Aunt's house where there was more room for everyone. Now that I am grown and have kids of my own, we still try to schedule our summer CA trip so that we can make it. It is always so much fun!



One of the (many) traditions is these devil's food cupcakes with seven-minute frosting. They usually have little flag toothpick decorations on top, but I forgot to get pictures of it before I took it off. The frosting is the best part. It is a meringue like frosting that is light and airy, but a little crispy on the edges after it sets. It tastes a little like marshmallows, but better. It takes a little work, but it is so worth it. Give it a try and I promise you will not regret it.





Seven-Minute Frosting

2 egg whites
1 ½ C sugar
Dash salt
1/3 C water
¼ t cream of tartar
1 t vanilla

Combine eggs, sugar, tartar, salt and water in top of double boiler. Beat 1 min w/ beater. Cook over boiling water, beating constantly for 7 minutes until stiff peaks form. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Beat until spreading consistency. Immediately spread over cake or cupcakes.

Shared on:
Creations by Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment