Thursday, September 15, 2011

Freezer Paper Stenciled Collegiate Shirts

My husband and I both graduated from BYU so we are big BYU fans around here. This Saturday is the big Rivalry game between BYU and the U (University of Utah) and I decided we need some gameday attire to support our team. I am too cheap to buy anything, so I decided to make some using freezer paper. It is so easy and cheap!

 

Here's how you can make your own:
You need:
Freezer paper
Fabric Paint
Brush
Cardboard (bigger than your image)
Iron
Image of your college logo
pencil
xacto or craft knife

First, you need to find a digital image of the college logo that you want on your shirt. Then you want to size the image and print it off so that you can trace it onto the freezer paper. I am cheap and didn't want to waste ink so I lightened mine up a ton.



Trace your image onto the dull side of the freezer paper. If you are having a hard time seeing the image, use a sharpie to outline the image and then try tracing again.

Using a craft/xacto knife cut out the image from the freezer paper, placing a piece of cardboard beneath it.

Iron the freezer paper to the front of the shirt, making sure the edges adhere to the shirt so none of the paint will seep through later.


Place a piece of cardboard inside your shirt and then use fabric paint to paint inside your stencil.
This is what mine looked like after one coat.

 You will probably need to do 3-4 coats, letting them dry for about an hour between each.

When you are done painting, peel off your freezer paper and let it dry completely.

To keep your paint from fading in the wash, I sealed the paint by ironing it (don't touch the paint directly with iron, place a cloth over it) the next day. I recommend you wait a few days to wash it too.

There you have it. Simple and easy. 

Go Cougars!

Shared on:

1 comment:

  1. Cute! I love making freezer paper shirts! SO FUN!

    jensennp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete